Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Happy Accidents


One of my favorite things about crochet is the opportunity that serendipity offers.

This dress was a gift that I made on a whim for a friend.  It was one of the first garments I ever made without a pattern.

I connected the top to the waistband and only realized that I had twisted it afterwards.  Initially, I had the same reaction every other knitter/crocheter does when realizing a major mistake: screaming, crying, window breaking, fire breathing...ya know...the norm.

But with the help of a glass of wine I saw this as an opportunity for a cool feature for the dress.  Instead of cursing and unraveling,  I decided to use the twist to frame a keyhole in the back.  This little crocheted party dress just got kicked up a sexy notch.  That's right...SEXY crochet.

It is still one of my favorite impromptu pieces to date and I'm happy I was able to step back and see how my mistake could be transformed to an asset.  What "happy accidents" have you experienced while crocheting and knitting?



No comments:

Post a Comment